Star Wars Predictions
It is in fact the day… and I have reached full on Kermit Flail status. All day yesterday my brain kept going “Star Wars! Star Wars! Star Wars!” and I have zero clue how I am going to be a reasonably functional human being today. The tickets are for 7 pm tonight at my local generally no frills theater… in 2D… which is honestly the way I would prefer to watch this movie. If it can blow me away without any frills, then it will have been a good day. At this point I am largely in a Star Wars information black out other than occasionally checking what the Rotten Tomatoes “freshness” score happens to be. For most of yesterday it was around the 98% but right now it is sitting at 95%. I am super thankful that Google shows the score without having to actually click through into the site, because really I am trying to avoid knowing much of anything about the actual plot. That said… when the Legion announcement happened in WoW I did a few predictions that morning, some of which were serious… others very much not. So I thought it might be fun to do my Star Wars: Force Awakens predictions. Please note that any alignment between these and actual plot points is pure coincidence and based on sheer dumb luck. I promise I know nothing… and these are not spoilers… but “wouldn’t it be cools”.
- Rey – I think it is probably a given at this point that Rey is the child of Luke and Han that somehow got stranded on Jakku, or at least that is my working theory. There was a shot of Rey and Chewie flying the Millennium Falcon which kinda lead me down this line of thinking.
- Han – Harrison Ford has long said that the only way he would ever return to the Star Wars franchise is if they were going to kill off his character. So I think without a doubt Han Solo will die in this movie. It will be an even bigger shock to me if he doesn’t… because I guess at the end of the day that means that Harrison Ford REALLY likes printing money. It would be cool if he got used to the fandom, and approached it with less disdain… but I am not holding my breath.
- Chewie – I think if and when Han dies… the Life Debt that Chewie owes Han… will transfer to his daughter. My biggest fear is that they jettisoned the Expanded Universe just so that Chewie would be alive… only to kill him off again. This movie should be all about passing the torch to the next generation… but you still need some aspect of the current generation to make that work, and I think Chewie continuing on would be a good callback.
- Kylo Ren – This one… I am torn on. For the longest period of time I thought maybe this was also Han and Leia’s kid… if for no reason other than in the Expanded Universe… their son did in fact turn to the Dark Side. Now I simply do not know. I have a feeling he ties into the Skywalker lineage somehow… but at this point it makes me wonder if he will end up being Luke’s son.
- Luke – One of the big mysteries is what exactly is up with Luke. I think this one goes one of two ways… either he has turned to the Dark Side himself and becomes the new big baddie … the power behind the throne of sorts. There are problems with this however… because if that were the case why would Kylo be on this hunt to collect all of these artifacts of Darth Vader… why wouldn’t he just worship the new embodiment of the Dark Side instead. I think more likely he is going to play the role of Obi Wan from the first movie… where he has isolated himself from the world and we go on a hunt to find him, where he is slightly mad in an almost Jorus C’Baoth style.
- Poe Dameron – I think a safe bet would be he somehow ties lineage back to a member of the Rogue Squadron that we will come to know during the Rogue Squadron breakout movie. That said I am going to go down my “wouldn’t it be cool” line of thought… and say… wouldn’t it be awesome if he turned out to be the child of Boba Fett? I mean he bears a vague resemblance to both Jango and Boba as seen in the prequels, and I mean… vague… because its not like Boba looked exactly like Jango.
- Finn – I really have no real guesses on this one. My fear is that they will go with the simple answer and make him Lando’s kid. I would love to think that he is tied into the original cast somehow. I know in theory he could be the child of Han Solo and Sana Solo which was introduced as Han’s wife in the comics. I’ve long thought that Han himself was a force sensitive… because his unnatural luck at times… could just literally be latent force sensitivity. I think Finn is going to play into the main story line in an important way, and we know he at least ends up wielding a light saber… so could he be also of the Skywalker lineage somehow?
Whatever the case any of these things might be… I am just hoping that I really and truly love the movie. I need this to be awesome… because I am still so disappointed in the prequels. I am even wearing my special Star Wars vans today… in hopes that tonight will be a truly awesome experience.
In theory Wednesday night is the night that I raid with Jed and crew, but I needed the night off. It has been a pretty crazy week, and with something scheduled almost evening… Wednesday night was really the only night I truly had to sit at home at chill. So instead of raiding I ended up working on the new holiday quests. The positive is that there is now a whole sequence of Winters Veil quests that start from your Garrison, the negative is that one of them is horrifically bugged and largely impossible to complete if you wish to retain your sanity. I guess in theory if you caught the quest during off hours you would do just fine, but since this is the sort of thing you want to do on every character that can possibly do it… it means that the area is pretty much constantly camped. Realistically they should have had the Alliance event happen in Shadowmoon Valley and the Horde event happen in Frostfire Ridge… because simply getting there is a bit of a pain in the ass for my Alliance characters. The worst part about the new quests is that Christmas has now also become a mount chase… with these chests purchasable from the vendor in your garrison for essentially one days worth of tokens. If you are insanely lucky like apparently Jaedia… you can end up getting the Minion of Grumpus mount… which I will be shooting for during this event.
After fiddling with holiday bits, I relaxed to an evening of working on my new Orc Warlock. Essentially I am leveling just like I would an arcanist, which means running around like mad and dotting things up. The end result seems to be a pretty rapid fire way to level… and I am already out leveling the content. Granted I am fully decked out in heirlooms which is in part what is making that be a thing. Mostly I am just trying to push my way into “dungeon” levels as fast as I can so that hopefully I can be queued for a dungeon the entire time I am leveling. If nothing else I am enjoying myself which is a first when it comes to Warlocks. I’ve always been interested in the class… because demons… but always struggled with getting into the spirit. However during the AggroChat podcast and through playing Final Fantasy XIV… I am learning that I basically tried playing all dot based classes wrong, and that the answer is in fact to run around like mad, dotting everything up and watching it just die before my eyes. So upon leveling this Warlock that is absolutely my new MO, and so far … it seems to be working. I needed a chill out class to play and this one is fitting the bill.